I relocated to Ndola earlier last week where I will be remaining for the rest of the summer. It is a quaint little town off the DRC border, which forms part of the Copperbelt. I was warned of some resentment towards the Chinese prior to my arrival. There is a small population here following their assistance constructing the roads and dams. The resentment stems from their ownership of the copper mines and their poor treatment of the Zambian workers. I've heard a few locals chant "Slant-eye! Slant-eye!", but I haven't experienced anything too bothersome yet.
Ndola offers a prettier landscape and warmer climate. It is much greener unlike the dusty dryness of Lusaka. I live in a house with two other interns. The accommodations are not as nice - I shower using a cup and I don‘t get internet access- but it’s cozy. We have a garden that is tended by the husband of our housekeeper, George. He grows tomatoes, onions, spinach, and lettuce in our backyard.
George impressed me with his knowledge of the Philippine government as he recited past presidents upon learning that I am Filipino. We bonded over Bob Marley and football over lunch at work the other day. Nshima is the staple food, and is eaten every day for every meal. It is a thick paste made from ground cornmeal. It is a little more dense than mashed potatoes. It is eaten by rolling a small ball in the palm of your hand, which can be dipped in relishes. Nshima is usually served with a side of vegetables (cabbage or rape) and protein (chicken, beef, or fish). For breakfast it is watered down to make a porridge-like substance. Nshima is filling, but bland. The poor can afford to eat it only with salt.
This weekend I attended the 2010 Joint African and FIFA World Cup qualifier between Zambia and Swaziland. I went with the ZEHRP pharmacist and his friends. The match was held at Konkola Stadium in Chililabombwe because Independence Stadium in Lusaka is under renovation for the 2011 African Cup games. Our tailgate consisted of drinking Mosis throughout the two-hour drive through the Copperbelt (Chililabombwe is the last Copperbelt town).
The first half was uneventful ending at 0-0. The Chipolopolo (Copper Bullets) led the second half with a renewed sense of vigor. They had many attempts at goal, but the Swaziland keeper proved it difficult to score. He was quick with cat-like reflexes. Then Zambia was awarded a penalty kick with five minutes left.
(Zambia: Green; Swaziland: White;)
Chris Katongo scored the winning goal. At the end of the game the fans rushed the field and performed cartwheels until the police officers began swatting their nightsticks.
People lined the highway and cheered in triumph on our way home. The children fanned huge leaves at the vehicles passing by them. I was reminded to be cautious because many of them demanded money, and one managed to grab my scarf. We stopped by a couple bars on the way back, and I met the coach in Kitwe. Hervé Renard was appointed the position recently this past May. He is a former defender for various French clubs (AS Cannes, Stade de Vallauris, and SC Draguignan) in a playing career that lasted from 1983 to 1998. He's a bit weathered, but attractive nonetheless. Unfortunately, he is married with two children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
ahhh! jen, i am SO jealous you got to go to the game. and the next one isn't till sept. but there is a ZEHRP game this weekend, so i'm going to that!
HAHAH, I FEEL YOU! I eat the same khachapuri everyday. It's like a croissant filled with cheese. Tasty but gets old after awhile.
Slant Eye! Communist! Hun Mao Fan =)
I love the way u write. Its like reading a book, u write very well and I enjoy reading ur blogs on my phone while I'm on the bus. Soccer games in Africa r insane. I would love to go to SA again for the world cup, we'll see where I am with work though :-) KEEP WRITING
I'm very happy for ya but I'm sure I mentioned that in every comment and email I sent u
Post a Comment