Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Things To Do

The past couple weekends have been dedicated to exploring Lusaka. We take taxis everywhere since we cannot use the project cars. Legal taxis are painted blue, but many locals use their personal cars as illegal taxis. We bargain with the drivers, and usually can get around for 25 pin. The legal driving age is 16, and I have seen a couple student drivers around the city. Seatbelt use is nonexistent and drunk driving is common (there is no set legal drinking age). Traffic accidents are the third cause of death among Zambians following HIV/AIDS (#1) and malaria (#2). Most roads are in decent condition, but some are unpaved with potholes that are often larger than the vehicles themselves. At times driving is more like off-roading for which 4WD is a necessity.

There are two large shopping centers, Arcades and Manda Hill, which draw in crowds of ex-pats and affluent Zambians. They are similar in setup and are comprised of a grocery store, fashion boutiques, hi-tech stores, and a strip of Western-styled restaurants and bars. The former also has a bowling alley and a cinema where we watched "Sex and the City" the day after its release in the US for 11.5 pin (about $3.50). The locals transform the Arcades parking lot into a mzungu market every Sunday for tourists. They mainly sell arts and crafts made of wood, stone, and metal reflective of the African wildlife.

Kamwala Market is a commercial area where the locals shop. It was difficult to navigate through the labyrinth of people, vehicles, and garbage. I was surprised to see the many second-hand stores. It never crossed my mind that they paid for donated clothing. Africa also happens to be the destination for championship game misprints, but I wouldn't be able to recognize them if I saw them.

We went for the sole purpose of chitenge. It is a printed cotton fabric decorated in a variety of colors, patterns, and even political slogans. The women wear it around their waists like a sarong, wrap it around their heads as a headscarf to balance goods, or use it as a baby sling. I bought 4 meters of a peacock print for 12 pin. I hope to get it tailored into a dress.

(Ma and Pa, you might want to skip the next couple paragraphs)

Northmead hosts a strip of lounges and bars. We went to go see the opening of the new club Celebrities and to check out several other bars. We also went to a downtown nightclub later that night. We met some Zambian men who bought us rounds of beer. Don't worry Ma, I only accepted sealed bottles. I tried Mosi (a Zambian lager) and Castle (a South African lager). While I am not a beer connoisseur, I prefer Mosi. It is pretty smooth compared to the bitterness of Castle. The locals who cannot afford to go out drink Chibuku Shake Shake. It is a local beer served in a paper carton which litter the streets all over the city.

Zambian men are friendly, but forward. One of the first questions they asked me was where I lived. They are also persistent asking for both an email address and phone number. One even followed me from bar to bar.

Lusaka is pretty safe as long as you follow general precautions. Although, one of my flatmates had her purse stolen at Northmead after we had already left.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I’m truly enjoying your blogs – it’s like blogging somehow makes people more poetic in speech – lol. The part that said “there is no set legal drinking age” made me think “Teenage Jen would have loved such a concept in the states” – lol

I wish I could have seen SatC for $3.50 – it cost me $11 on Fandango for Atlantic Station!! And that was the only way I could guarantee a ticket – it was Craaaaazy!

“Don't worry Ma, I only accepted sealed bottles.” – I guess you assumed they wouldn’t heed your advise! Lol

Anonymous said...

You know, so much of what you're saying is true here in Malawi. I think it's because we're neighbors. And they're all from the Bantu tribe I think... Anyway, I still have yet to try the beers here and yeah, Chibuku is all over the place here too...except we don't have nice bars and strip malls.